Sometimes you want to come to home to a hearty, comforting meal, ready and waiting for you. Lindsay of Pinch of Yum perfected this recipe for the best detox crockpot lentil soup.
For those days when you just don’t want to stand in the kitchen, the crockpot is the perfect kitchen tool to ensure you’re coming back to a hot-and-ready homecooked meal.
Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but it even includes detox ingredients, like kale, onions, garlic, and carrots, so you’ll satisfy your hunger and rest assured you’re making a healthy choice. The best part is you can put everything in the crockpot in the morning before work and by the time you get home, it’ll be ready to eat.
How about a healthy snack? Try our All-Natural Fruit Salad.
- 2 cups butternut squash (peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2 cups potatoes (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 1 cup green lentils
- ¾ cup yellow split peas (or just use more lentils)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 8-10 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 2-3 cups kale (stems removed, chopped)
- 1 cup parsley (chopped)
- ½ cup olive oil – rosemary olive oil or other herb infused oil is delicious
- a swish of sherry, red wine vinegar, or lemon juice to add a nice tangy bite
- Place all ingredients in the crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Place about 4 cups of soup in a blender with the olive oil. Pulse gently until semi-smooth and creamy-looking (the oil will form a creamy emulsion with the soup). Add back to the pot and stir to combine. Stir in the kale and parsley. Turn the heat off and just let everything chill out for a bit before serving. The taste gets better with time and so does the texture, IMO!
- Season to taste (add the sherry, vinegar, and/or lemon juice at this point) and to really go next level, serve with crusty wheat bread and a little Parmesan cheese. It’s called Detox Balance. 😉
P.S. What’s for dessert? Have you heard about mugcakes? They’re the perfect portion of a sweet indulgence.