Tofu is one of the best ingredients to experiment with as a meat substitute because it takes easily to seasoning. If you’re a foodie like me, you probably love trying food from various cultures.
I created this Cajun tofu and crispy sweet potato fries recipe to add a cultural flavor to the almost-flavorless tofu. Making tofu flavorful is one of the things that debunks vegan myths.
When it comes to cooking tofu, I always recommend marinating it overnight. If this isn’t possible, marinate the tofu for at least 2-3 hours for the most flavorful results. Did you know that tofu can help make your skin look younger? Read this article to find out how. This Cajun tofu recipe has a kick, so it’s best served to an audience who enjoys spicy food!
Cajun Tofu Recipe
By: Naimah Qazi
- Dry firm tofu by gently squeezing it. You can buy firm or extra firm tofu from your grocery store or online from Thrive Market.
- Leave tofu to dry in a strainer until you see no excess water (15-20 mins).
- Slice the tofu into thick squares; place on a paper towel.
- Place tofu in a bowl.
Gently mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
- 2 tablespoons of Frank’s Red Original Hot Sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Marinate overnight or for 2-3 hours.
- Place 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a shallow pan over medium heat.
- Gently place each piece of tofu into the pan. Do not dump your bowl of tofu into the pan to prevent oil splatter and burns.
- Cook the tofu for 30 seconds to a minute per side or until golden brown, and repeat for each side.
- Remove the tofu and place it on a dry paper towel to drain.
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
If you’re like me and cutting all the excess carbs out of your life, french fries have carb-sin written all over them! However, sweet potatoes are quite the opposite.
Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamin A, which is responsible for boosting immunity and producing anti-inflammatory properties.
They’re naturally sweet and regulate your blood sugar, which means they help balance your sweet cravings when your blood sugar drops! The trick is keeping it simple when baking sweet potatoes. If you want to keep this dish healthy, don’t overdo the seasoning.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees
- Wash, peel, and thinly slice 5 sweet potatoes
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes together with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of thyme, and a pinch of cayenne pepper
- Evenly spread out the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet. And slide into the middle rack of the oven.
- Flip the potatoes every 15 minutes until crispy.
Enjoy your Cajun tofu with a side of sweet potato fries.
Did you like this recipe? Join our mailing list for more.
Naimah Qazi is a foodie, public service volunteer, and southern California native. Through her work with non-profit organizations, she hopes to bring joy and spiritual food into the lives of others.
*This article contains an affiliate link.
Featured image from www.pinktrollkitchen.com