If you’re still scrambling to find a Valentine’s Day gift for your loved one, you can try making your own vegan Valentine’s Day soap with the help of my recipe. Pouring all your love and effort into making this handmade present will surely be appreciated by your Valentine.
Creating your own soap bars is beneficial because you can customize it however you want. Perhaps you can add some of these aphrodisiac essential oils to the soap to give it a fragrance that your significant other will love. You can also buy molds to create soap shaped like hearts.
While making the soap, please keep in mind that lye is a caustic chemical, which means that it can burn your skin. Don’t forget to wear gloves and follow these safety precautions described by Botanie Natural Soap.
Another thing to remember is to use separate equipment for the vegan soap – not the same ones you use for cooking. While mixing the ingredients together, use stainless steel bowls and whisks or spoons. And you will need a digital thermometer to ensure that your mixtures have reached the correct temperature during the soap-making process.
Kimberly’s D-I-Y Valentine’s Day Vegan Soap
- 10 oz. palm oil
- 10 oz. coconut oil
- 8 oz. olive oil
- 6 oz. almond oil
- 6 oz. shea butter
- 5 oz. lye in a glass container
- 15 oz. distilled water in a glass container
- 1 oz. essential oil of your choice for fragrance (optional)
- In a pan, melt any solid oils and butter in a deep stainless steel pan before mixing in the liquid oils. Keep it on medium heat.
- While the oils are being heated, start carefully mixing the lye and water in a well-ventilated area. Make sure that you’re wearing goggles and gloves while pouring the lye into the water (do not pour the water into the lye). And stir the mixture with a metal spoon or whisk slowly while making sure not to breathe in the fumes. The mixture will become hot, so make sure not to touch the container without gloves! Then wait for the mixture to clear as it cools down.
- When both the water/lye mixture and the oils have reached around 110°F, slowly pour the water/lye mixture into the pan with the oils. Then stir the mixture until it starts to thicken.
- Once the soap mixture has been thickened, add in your choice of essential oils.
- Next, pour the mixture into a soap mold. Cover the mold with plastic wrap or parchment paper before placing it in a dry, cool place to dry.
- Wait at least 24 hours before you take out the soap for use. Or you can let it set even longer!
If you want to use different oils than the one listed in this recipe, make sure to use a Soap Calculator. The types of oils used in your recipe affects the amount of lye that needs to be used.
Impress your significant other this Valentine’s Day with your own handmade vegan soap. All your hard work and effort will surely be appreciated. After all, what’s more romantic than receiving a gift that someone made all on their own?
Have you ever given any handmade gifts for Valentine’s Day? Let us know in the comments below!