Hummus can be overpriced and over-processed, yet extremely addictive! By using this hummus recipe, you’ll save yourself some money and enjoy a yummy treat.
Before you run to the grocery store to get your next hummus fix, take a look in your own refrigerator first! You’d be surprised at the simple ingredients you already have handy. You can make a quick and easy, creamy homemade hummus that will beat that store brand any day!
By: Shauna Sincerely
Try this healthy and delicious hummus recipe that’ll have everyone double-dipping at your next party (or night in)!
Want to create the perfect party spread? Put that hummus out with these other easy-to-grab vegan finger foods.
Creamy Homemade Hummus
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. water
- ½ a lemon (juiced)
Note: You will need a food processor or blender for this recipe.
- In a large bowl, throw in your chickpeas. Fill the bowl with cold water and let the chickpeas sit for 10 minutes. You will notice that most of the chickpea skin on the peas will rise to the top of the water.
- Using a strainer or your hands, remove the skin and discard.
Note: This step is not mandatory, but makes for a smoother hummus if completed.
- Now strain the water from your peas and pour them into your food processor with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend on high speed to make a creamy hummus for about 5 minutes, depending on your food processor’s energy level.
- Serve your hummus with some raw veggies or tortilla chips and enjoy!
And for dessert? It’s the perfect time of year for key lime pie!
Shauna is the founder of Shauna Sincerely, where she helps people eat fearlessly, feel good, and end their food war. Shauna loves to laugh out loud, cook and indulge in delicious foods, dance like no one’s watching, and have long patio chats with her favorite humans. Read more about Shauna’s mission to help people develop positive and healthy relationships with food on her blog.