Lentil soup is a vegan comfort food that is always sure to hit the spot.
Lentils are a great source of fiber, magnesium, and protein. They also help lower cholesterol and risk of heart disease. If you’re interested in starting your journey into veganism, lentils should be a part of your vegan grocery list. You can learn more about them in our Lentils Guide.
You can prepare a batch of vegan lentil soup in advance, and reheat a little whenever you’re looking for a quick lunchtime meal. Here are instructions on how you can make your own soup!
Kimberly’s Favorite Lunchtime Vegan Lentil Soup
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 chopped white onion
- 2 cups lentils
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup sliced baby spinach
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 chopped celery stalks
- 2 minced garlic cloves (or garlic powder to taste)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 diced baby carrots
- 1 bay leaf
- oregano (about 1 tsp)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn your stove to medium heat.
- Add olive oil, onions, carrots and celery, then stir frequently until the onion turns from white to clear.
- Gradually stir in your spices and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add lentils, tomatoes and water.
- Stir occasionally until the soup comes to a boil, then reduce your heat and simmer for at least an hour and a half.
- When you’re ready to eat, stir in the vinegar and baby spinach until the spinach wilts. After that, pour in a bowl and you’re ready to eat!
Do you want more recipes for soup? Check out our Vegan Clam Chowder recipe!
Do you have any favorite recipes with lentils? Share with us in the comments below!