Looking for a way to spice up your brunch menu? Try this strawberry French toast!
By: Emma Stessman
For me, just the smell of french toast has a nostalgic quality. A whiff takes me back to Saturday mornings as a kid, waking up to be greeted by a plate stacked high with french toast, doused in maple syrup.
While traditional french toast recipes use eggs and dairy to make the brunch staple custard-y and smooth on the inside and just a bit crunchy on the outside, this french toast recipe by The Minimalist Baker uses chia seeds and almond milk to put a vegan spin on my childhood favorite.
When baking, I usually use bananas as an egg substitute, but sometimes they don’t quite add the right texture.
Love brunch? Try making these blueberry scones for breakfast, dessert, or anytime!
This recipe uses chia seeds to soak up the excess moisture of the almond milk in the batter to give the toast the same chewy, delicious quality that eggs usually do.
Not only are chia seeds a substitute for eggs, but they’re good for you too! Read about why we love chia seeds here.
This is definitely a recipe that I’ll be using next time I host a brunch. It was even approved by my non-vegan roommate!
Strawberry French Toast
- 1 heaping tbsp chia seeds (whole or ground into a fine meal so they’re undetectable)
- 1/2 tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4-5 slices bread (It’s important to use a sturdy rustic bread or it can turn out soggy/soft)
- strawberries (for topping)
- Mix all ingredients except the bread in a large, shallow bowl. Place in the fridge to activate for 10-20 minutes.
- Preheat griddle to medium heat (~350°F) and grease with 1 tbsp vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Dip each slice of bread in the batter for about 20 seconds on each side. If your bread is dry, leave it in a little longer. If you’re using sandwich bread, it should only need 25-30 seconds total to soak.
- Place on griddle and cook until golden brown on the underside. Carefully flip and cook until the other side is golden brown as well, 3-4 minutes.
- Top with desired toppings: I went with strawberries and maple syrup.
Want more recipes like this? Sign up for our mailing list!