Ah, summer — the season for swimming, sweltering days, balmy nights, and vegan hot dogs.
I know what you’re thinking: vegan hot dogs? The concept seems to contradict itself. But then again, if you’ve ever seen what goes into your standard hot dog, you might welcome a vegan option.
Considering that hot dogs are made with meat byproducts, fillers, and all kinds of preservatives to keep them for way longer than you’d want to keep anything in the fridge, this vegan adaptation is a fresh take on clean eating for summertime, especially because it has no additives, no preservatives, and is all-natural!
That said, check out Clueless Curl’s Smoked Carrot Dog recipe. The smoky flavor is a pleasant, yet unexpected addition, especially if you don’t regularly grill outdoors.
Smoked Carrot Dog
Vegan Hot Dog Buns
Red Wine Vinegar
Seasoned Salt & Pepper
1. Cut the ends of the carrots and peel; boil carrots until they are fork tender. Don’t overcook them!
2. While the carrots are cooking, prepare the marinade; whisk together vinegar, garlic, liquid smoke, and seasonings.
3. Once carrots are done, drain and run under cool water to stop the cooking process.
4. Add the carrots to the marinade in a resealable bag; refrigerate for about 24 hours.
5. The next day, brown the carrots with olive oil and some of the marinade.
6. Serve with your choice of toppings.
Thirsty for something new and innovative? Have you heard about blue wine?
Check out Clueless Curls’ blog for more recipes and health living tips!
*Featured image from Peta.org