Now that your Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes are ready, it’s time to make gravy.
Did you make your cranberry sauce yet? This recipe takes less than 15 minutes!
Vegan Mushroom & Onion Gravy
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 6 oz. Portobello mushrooms – sliced
- 1-½ cups, plus 1/4 cup for deglazing of vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of flour + 1/4 cup of water – stir until flour dissolves and becomes a thick paste
- 1 tablespoon of sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and shallots when the oil is hot and cook for 3 minutes or until they begin to soften and brown. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for one minute.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the vegetable broth into the pan and deglaze. Add the Portobello and white mushrooms and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until they lose their water and begin to brown.
- Add the rest of the vegetable broth, rosemary, and thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure that the liquid doesn’t evaporate. If that starts to happen, lower the temperature.
- Strain the mushroom mixture over a large bowl. Return the pan to medium-high heat and pour the mushroom broth in the pan, bringing it to a low boil.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and stir until the gravy begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper and stir for another minute.
- Strain the gravy one more time to make sure that it’s smooth and creamy.
- Save your solid mushroom mixture and serve as a side dish.
Want more articles about food and vegan living? Join our mailing list: